In modern construction, for the manufacture of beautiful, high-quality, and durable ceilings, cross-laminated timber is often used. Such a clt ceiling is quickly mounted and has excellent sound and heat insulation properties. Pleasant appearance allows the use of glued laminated timber in administrative, public, and residential buildings, creating beautiful interiors in any style. Even without preliminary surface preparation and additional finishing, you can get the perfect ceiling, which does not require special care, and lasts a long time without losing its attractiveness.
What it is
Cross Laminated Timber is a versatile material made from cross-laminated timber. The blanks are dried in special chambers to a moisture content of no more than 12%, stacked in layers, and glued into a single array under pressure. Such panels have gained wide popularity in the construction of high-quality, environmentally friendly, and comfortable housing. The tree has a positive effect on the microclimate, and due to its quality characteristics, it provides comfortable room temperature and sound insulation.
Production process of CLT ceiling
The cross laminated timber ceiling is manufactured following the standards developed by the European Union. The manufacturing process is certified and includes the following steps:
- lumber preparation: drying, the opening of defects;
- trimming blanks to give the required length;
- pasting of lamellas among themselves on length;
- fine planing of blanks glued together;
- applying glue to the layers and laying wood at 90 degrees;
- pressing 3-9 layers;
- cutting parts on a modern CNC machine.
Most often, a glued beam ceiling is made from softwood, although hardwood building materials can be found. Second-grade wood is also taken as raw material.
Advantages of CLT ceilings
CLT panels are well combined with other building materials, which allows you to choose a ceiling for any style of interior and finish. In addition to versatility, the material has other advantages:
- 100% environmental friendliness. Clean and safe building material is widely used in green buildings. Thanks to glued beams, it is easy to achieve a positive carbon balance. In production, only harmless materials are used, including adhesives. Due to the excellent heat exchange and air exchange, moisture, and vapor impermeability, a normal microclimate is created in the room.
- Good thermal insulation properties. Building material allows you to maintain a comfortable temperature in the house at any time of the year. The tightness of CLT ceilings increases the energy efficiency of the room and minimizes heat loss.
- Quick finish and easy installation. Panels do not require additional preparation before installation. The installation of the elements does not require special skills, they are connected easily and quickly, forming an ideal surface. The installation process is quiet, during the work there is practically no construction debris.
- Lightweight. Lightweight ceiling structures are created from panels.
- Safety and durability. This building solution is the best for those who emphasize reliability and safety. The panels are characterized by high fire resistance, well perceive dynamic, static loads.
A glued beam ceiling is an opportunity to save time and money without compromising the quality of living conditions. The cost of the panel is quite acceptable, at the same time, they serve for a long time, and do not require an emergency replacement or cosmetic repairs.
Characteristics of CLT ceilings
The thickness of the CLT array for ceilings depends on the number of layers and can be 60-400 millimeters. The standard panel length is up to 16 meters, the width can be up to 3.6 meters. The weight of the panels is approximately 470 kg per cubic meter. Kiln-dried lumber is bonded with formaldehyde-free adhesives, making KLT an excellent option for interior cladding.
The structural and physical properties of the material make it suitable for any technical requirements. The material is characterized by high dimensional stability. Small deformations in the form of shrinkage and swelling can occur only in case of high humidity in the plane of the structure.